A newly created role, our client is looking for an experienced Chief Data Officer who will develop and implement a multi-faceted data strategy that will transform the company to be data-driven across all of processes and enable data science teams, automation initiatives, and operational efficiency objectives. Key components of the strategy will be expected to include people, process, standards and technology for data architecture, data lifecycle management, data sourcing, data analytics and governance.
They will establish strategic alignment and cohesion moving forward. Significant collaboration and influencing skills will be required to engage senior management and stakeholders from multiple levels of the Firm to align, drive adoption and deliver on the vision. The Chief Data Officer will work collaboratively with various internal working groups and stakeholders, including the Chief Information Security Officer, Global Data Privacy Officer, Investment Data Science team, Information Technology and the Knowledge Management office.
The responsibilities and expectations of the Chief Data Officer include, but are not limited to:
- Data Strategy – Provide bold strategic vision and leadership for all aspects of the data lifecycle. Strategy will encompass the design, implementation and technology for data management and governance, including data acquisition, data maintenance, analytics and insights, and reporting. Ultimately the data strategy should yield tangible business value, including enhanced client service, business growth, timely response to data queries, data security, and reduction of risk due to inaccurate or mis-used data.
- Data Catalyst – Seek to instil innovation through data and analytics to generate business insights that result in tangible benefits for clients and the firm.
- Data Governance – Oversee the Enterprise Data Governance team and effectively prioritize, budget and manage timelines and expectations.
- Data Technologist – Partner with the technology team and other stakeholders to assess technologies and design cloud-based data and technical architectures to increase business agility, reduce costs and manage complexity. Explore opportunities to rationalize data feeds, data management and data analytics tools.
- Stakeholder Management – Develop and maintain collaborative partnerships with business and technology leaders across all business units, the risk and compliance teams, and key stakeholders to ensure a strong understanding and adoption of the standards and expectations of the enterprise data program.
- Data Sourcing – Provide expertise in sourcing and managing total spend for external data.
- Data Operations – Oversee a team responsible for managing critical firm data.
- Industry Network – Establish an external network of peers to inform the strategy and influence negotiations.
- Results-oriented leader with a proven track record of leading a data transformation initiative.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills needed to collaborate, negotiate and influence effectively with all stakeholders at the firm.
- Understanding of asset management industry data.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with best in class data strategy design.
- Demonstrated familiarity with industry market data services (e.g. Bloomberg, Factset, S&P, Refinitiv).
- Experience with vendor relationship management and handling of large-scale contract negotiations.